“The role of music is to serve the needs of the liturgy and not to dominate it, seek to entertain, or draw attention to itself or the musicians.”“The full and active participation by all the people is to be considered before all else… “ “The primary role of music in the Liturgy is to help the members of the gathered assembly to join themselves with the action of Christ and to give voice to the gift of faith.”
-- Quotations from Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship United States Conference of Catholic Bishops 2007
St. Joseph Parish offers many opportunities for people who wish to enrich liturgy through the gift of music. Anyone is welcome to join the choir at any time. The ability to read music is helpful but not required. The only requirement is the ability to sing in tune.
For information on any of the following ministries, please contact Lorrie Wenmoth at 330-928-2173 or [email protected].
- Sings at 5:00 p.m. Saturday vigil Mass during Advent and Lent, and at Mass on Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday
- Open to PSR and St. Joseph School students in grades 1-8
- Practices are from 3:15-4:00 on Mondays at St. Joseph School
Our Lady of Consolation Funeral Choir
- Sings for funeral liturgies
- Rehearsals 15 minutes prior to each funeral
- Ideal for retirees and people free during the day. You may attend whenever you are able.
- Sings at the 10:00 Sunday Mass from September to June
- Sings a mixture of classical literature and contemporary Catholic literature
- Rehearsals are Wednesdays from 7-8:30 in the choir loft
- Open to anyone junior high age and up.
- You must be able to sing in tune, but it is not necessary to read music.
- Special events: In addition to Sunday Mass, the choir provides music for 40 hours devotions, the Easter Vigil, Confirmation, Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, and other liturgies as requested by the pastor.
- A cantor announces and leads the hymns from the choir loft, and intones the psalm from the ambo.